I did get most of the wall done over my vacation. The only thing which was not completed is the window. I started working on Sunday, September 26, by sanding the house with the oscillating sander. Monday, I sanded all the area which the oscillating sander could not reach with a detail sander and/or hand sanding it. On Tuesday, I could finally started priming the bare wood with an oil primer and let it dry until the next day.
Wednesday, I pulled out the caulk and got to work caulking all the cracks on the primed wood. There is a wall area which can only be reached on the north side of the three-season porch roof. The only way to work on this section is to lay down on the roof and try to work in an 8 inch space between the bardgeboard and the roof. The photo below shows just how hard it was.
I made the decision not to use the heat gun in that area since the chances of badly burning myself or the house was pretty good. So I only scraped and sanded as much paint off as I could. This area was primed using an acyclic primer instead of the oil. I primed this area on Wednesday because I want to let the oil primer dry first before I apply the acrylic primer because the edges would overlapped.
Finally on Thursday I could apply the first coat color on the house but before I could start I need to finish caulking the area on the north side of the roof. The caulk only required 1 hour curing before it could be painted. So I caulked that section first and painted it last. This allowed the caulking to cure 4 hours before it was painted. The second coat was applied on Friday. I am waiting to take a picture until I finish fixing the rotten window sill.
Saturday, I took the day off and visited my mother in Gays Mills. We stop by the Viroqua Farmer Market to see my sister, Debbie, and her soon to be husband, Randall, selling their produce. There is a large community of Amish around Viroqua and several families sell at the market too. Almost every time I visit this farmer market I buy one their beautiful baskets. After farmer market, Mom and I stopped at my sister's house and helped them unpack the van and truck. Once they finished, Randall was nice enough to pull out his table saw and make the cuts needed to replace my sill. I only have a miter and circular saw and the cuts could only be done on a table saw. He did a great job for me. Thanks again, Randall.
Sunday, I spend several hours working on putting in the front sill section. Earlier in the week I applied a wood harder and an epoxy to it. I wish I would not have applied the epoxy until I was ready to install the sill because I chived most of it off. The front piece would not line up even with the window until I removed almost all of it. Once I got everything aliened I mixed up more epoxy filled in the areas again. Put glue on the wood section and the replacement sill then clamped the sill front to window frame before the epoxy harden. Screwed the sill in placed and remove the excess epoxy. Later this week I will sand it, prime, caulk and paint it. I do have a wooden storm window the paint but I can finish painting that in the basement.