Thursday, March 10, 2011

AHH, SPRING FINALLY SHOWED ITSELF: Week 10

Wednesday morning I woke up to 3-4 inches of snow. The weatherman claimed we get sleet and 1-2 inches of snow. I think we lucked out of the sleet and got the snow instead. I spend an hour digging out my driveway and front walk. My normal 50 minute commuted turned into a 1 hour and 45 minutes. It sure did not seem spring was going to come soon this morning but on the drive home I saw a pair of Sandhill cranes flying over the marsh just southwest of Madison heading north. It will not be long before we will hear and see them dancing in the marshes.


Next week my ivy germaniums and coleus should be big enough to transplant into 3 packs. The petunias planted 3 weeks ago have their first true leave. I will not transplant them until they have four to six leaves. All the impatiens were planted on Sunday and I did find time to plant several cold weather vegetable. The varieties are: Ruby Perfection Cabbage (Red), Packman Broccoli, Cheddar Cauliflower (yellow head), and Falstaff and Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts. I ordered a variety of Brussels Sprouts call Jade Cross. I planted Jade Cross two years ago and had a much larger yield than the varieties I planted last year. A Wisconsin seed catalog has several stores in Madison, I still waiting for them to put out a variety of cauliflower with a purple head. I really want to try mixing the white, yellow and purple cauliflower heads together; it should make a pretty dish.


Tuesday, morning while walking out the front door I found my garden supply package and here is what I ordered. The back disc is the self watering device which is put in the bottom of a hanging basket. I sure hope it works I spend about an hour everyday during the summer watering basket and planters.


No gardening duties this coming weekend but the following week will be a busy one. The last of the annual flowers will be sown; it is also the week that peppers will be started. I brought 5-6 color bell pepper and 2 types of hot peppers.

PS: I was talking to one of my fellow gardeners at work about all the seeds I been starting. He mentioned that I had a big smile on face just thinking about getting my hands covered with dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment