Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Strawberries and Spinach


After Farmers Market on Saturday, I went strawberry picking at one of the local farmers U-pick fields.  The weather was warm but the breeze was cool making it a perfect day for picking.  I only planned on pick one tray but ended up with two trays (12 x 18 inches).  I managed to wash and clean one tray Saturday evening before going to bed.

Sunday morning I woke up early and made a strawberry pie which I put in the freezer.  I like to make pies and freeze them so I just defrost and cook them when family comes.  I found time to slice a large bowl of strawberries so have them for this salad or just by themselves.

Friday evening I harvested all my spinach and cleaned them.  After finishing the one tray of strawberries I save a gallon sized bag of spinach and blanched the rest for the freezer.  I still have the second strawberry tray to clean and process today.

The first time I had this salad was at a Mad City Quilters Picnic held every May and several of the ladies asked for this recipe.  The salad is easy to make just added spinach and strawberry until it looks right to you and then add the poppy seed dressing.  The next time I make it I going to just some thinly sliced onions to it.  I think the onion will balance well with the sweetness of the strawberries and dressing. 

Poppy Seed Dressing

1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon poppy seeds (I use blue poppy seeds but any will do)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/3 cup white vinegar

Add onion and garlic powder to taste.  Shake well and pour on salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment