Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Week 5: Spring is a Tease


The weather has been wonderful over the last few days.  Sunday the temperature was in the upper 70s and maybe made it into the 80s.  I been keeping an eye on my bloodroot plants and yesterday the white flowers fully opened. 

I found a small daffodil blooming in the south garden along the house.  I lived in this house for 7 seven years and never found any daffodils before this.   The single Hyacinth plant is just starting to show its flowers.



 

Saturday, I did find time to plant short rows of French Breakfast Radishes, Bloomsdale Spinach, Dragon Carrots, and Detroit Red Beets in one of my raised beds.  There is a large planter next to the back porch stair which I also planted with lettuce.  It was wonderful to be able to dig in the garden and smell the freshly turned soil.

I also found time to plant the tomatoes, eggplants and basil in the seed starter trays.  Here is the list of what I planted.

Tomatoes:

  Paste:

     Federle

     Amish both are red paste.

  Cherry:

     Chocolate Cherry (Deep Red color)

     Sunsugar Hybrid (Golden Color)

  Large:

     German Pink (Pink color)

     Brandywine (Pink color)

     German Green (Green) I find it hard to tell when the fruit is

                                     ripe.

  Medium:

      Celebrity (Red)

      Delicious (Red)

      Black Krim (Dark Red) It makes the best tasting BLT.

      Green Zebra (Yellow and Green Strips with Green meat)

 

Tomatillo:

    Purple

    Dr. Wyche Yellow, I grow this before and the salsa tasted

                              great.

    Green Husk

 

Eggplant:

    Rossa Bianca (Large white and purple fruit)

    Udumalapet ( 2 to4 inch purple and yellow fruit)

 

Basil:

   Genovese (Large fragrance leaves)

   Napoletano (large leaves good for salads)

I spend most of Sunday transplanting the impatiens plants into 3 packs.  The cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and cabbage were transplanted into single containers. 

The reason why I choose to name this “Spring is a Tease” is we are just getting a taste of what it can be like since tomorrow the weather is changing back with temperatures between the 30s and 40s with possibly of snow this Saturday.

PS: Maestro been enjoying the weather too.

No comments:

Post a Comment