Monday, February 11, 2013

No-Knead Honey Whole Wheat Bread


No work was done in the basement over the weekend because I neglected the rest of the house for the last two weeks.  So I spent the weekend cleaning the upstairs and making meals.  I started Saturday morning pulling a turkey carcass out of the freezer and making turkey stock.  The turkey made enough stock to make a turkey noodle soup with another 7-1/2 cup of stock for the freezer.  I froze about 3 quart of roasted tomatillos last fall and found a wonderful recipe for Tomatillo Chicken Stew from Simply Recipes.  While defrosting and organizing the freezer I found several pints of marinara sauce and spinach packages.  These items allow me to make Spinach Stuffed Manicotti from my own recipe for dinner tonight.

Since Christmas I been working on a No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread recipe.  The modified recipe was published by Mademoiselle magazine. Susan Leiberman was a guest editor and submitted it "No-Knead Bread"in the 1970s.  This recipe makes 3 great tasting white bread loaves but I prefer whole wheat.  The whole wheat bread only makes 2 loaves.  The whole wheat flour does not raise as high when using white flour.

No-Knead Honey Whole Wheat Bread

3/4 cup warm water
2 pkg or 4-1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon flour
5 cups unbleached flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
3 eggs well-beaten
2 cups warm water

In a small bowl mix the first 4 ingredient together and set aside. 

Measure the unbleached and whole wheat flour and add the salt in a large bowl.  Using a whisk thoroughly mix the dry mix together.  Add the honey, vegetable oil, eggs, water and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients.  I use clean hands to mix it together until I have a sticky ball.  If you prefer not to use your hand a large spoon will work just fine.  I prefer to use my hand because I can feel when all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.  Cover the bowl with a towel and allow the mixture to sit in a warm place for 3 hours or until the mixture doubles. 

Divide the dough in half and shade into 8"x 5"loaves.  Put into bread pans.  Cover the dough again with a towel and allow to raise another hour. 

Preheat the oven to 350F.   Brush the bread tops with egg whites to get a lovely carmel colored loaf.  I use dried egg white and it works well.  Place the loaves in the center oven rack and bake for 55 minutes or until the sounds hollow when tapped.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment