Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Caramel Apple Pie


This is my favorite Apple Pie; I found this in a holiday magazine issue approximately 10-15 years ago and of course never noted which magazine it was. I prefer to use a baking apple that keeps its shape during baking. My favorite is the Wolf River Apple variety from northeast Wisconsin. It is a big apple and does keeps it shape when baked, if you use it in a tart it will be a show stopper. There was only one Wolf River Apple left in my refrigerator when I made this pie so I used Granny Smith apples which came from my sister’s orchard. I am planning to baking that single Wolf River apple stuffed with a little yogurt butter, brown sugar and cinnamon then topping it with whip cream. Eating that is a really treat and it is better than candy.


Sometime in the last 10 years I stopped peeling my apples for tarts and pies. I like the extra color it adds to the pie and it does increase the fiber content. I know pies are full of sugar and fat but I try to make it a little better by adding more fiber whenever I can.

I also try to cut down on the saturated fat by using a pastry crust which is made up with half butter and oil. I used olive oil when I make the dough. I am not going to give you the pie crust recipe since I found it in 1,000 Lowfat Recipes by Terry Blonder Golson, page 521. When I make pastry dough I prefer mix with my hands. By using my hands, I can feel when the dough has enough water added to it. The “Double Pie Crust” recipe does not want the dough refrigerated but I found it rolls out better when the dough is cool. I dough is too short and falls apart if not refrigerated. The dough does bake up to a nice flakey crust. I usually make two pies and freeze an unbaked pie for another day or you can make a jelly roll from the remaining pie crust.

Caramel Apple Pie

Piecrust
1 cup sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 cups unpeeled sliced apples
½ cup caramel apple dip
2 tablespoon milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter

1. Prepare piecrust. Place dough roll on top of lightly floured waxed paper, press down roll into a circle. Flip dough over and press down again. Place another sheet of waxed paper on top of dough and roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. Remove top waxed paper and turned that side into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate and remove the remaining wax paper. Trim to ½ inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under pastry; crimp. Don’t prick pastry.
2. For filling: In large bowl, mix sugar, ¼ cup flour and cinnamon. Add the apples and toss to coat. Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate. Combine 2 tablespoon of the caramel-apple dip and 2 tablespoons milk; drizzle over apples.
3. In mixing bowl, combine the 1 cup flour and brown sugar. Cut in ½ cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Place on baking sheet.
4. Bake in 350 degrees oven 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 25 to 30 minutes more or until golden. Cool 10 minutes. Drizzle remaining caramel dip over top. Cool pie on wire rack.
Makes 8 to 10 serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment