Saturday, March 21, 2020

Remodeling the Basement Craft Room Part 1

The craft room south side newly painted
with a new LED light fixture
This winter project started in the spring 2019 when I brought cabinets to put up on the east wall of the basement craft room.  I was hoping to get an electrician over the summer to move the electric outlet up the wall because the lower cabinets would cover them up.  No one call me back, so I waited until after Christmas to try again.  The person I contacted believed he could fit me and came over to view what I need done but he pulled out when a contractor called him with a large job.  He was nice enough to refer me to another electrician located in my town.  This tradesman was able to fit me in a within two weeks after I contacted him.

Since I finally got an electrician to do the job March, I had a long list of what I wanted upgraded.   This list involved:
  1. My bedroom: add two outlets with USB on each side of my bed.
  2. Guest Bedroom: add one outlet along the south wall.
  3. Living room: add an outlet on the north wall and replace an outlet with USB where my phone charger is (this could not be done because they could not pull a new grounded wire to the outlet.)
  4. Dining room: add an outlet with USB where my computer sits.
  5. Front porch: replace outdoor outlet with a grounded one.
  6. Unfinished side of basement: 
    1. Add a 4-plug outlet under shelving where I have my hand tools battery rechargers.
    2. Add outlet next to my worktable.
    3. Add outlet next to water softener.
  7. Basement Craft room:
    1. Move and replace outlet with an outlet that includes USB above the lower cabinets on the south side of the east wall
    2. Move outlet and replace with 2 plug outlet and a 4 plug USB outlet above the lower cabinets on the north side of the east wall
    3. Added an outlet above the upper cabinets to place the internal box and the Wi-Fi above cabinets.
    4. Add outlet on north wall where I will hang the large screen TV. 
Guest Bedroom turned in a storage space.
I made sure all the furniture was moved out of way when they came and then I cleaned up after them so they could just do the electrical work.  It took two men 6 hours to finish the job.  It took me two weeks to put everything back together since house was already torn apart, I decided it needed a proper spring cleaning.

The same day the electricians were working on the house, I spent sometime at the phone company to make an appointment to have my internet connection moved above the upper cabinet and next to the newly installed electrical outlet.  The phone company completed the job the follow week and it took him only a half hour to get the job done.


While I was trying to line up an electrician, I managed to paint the craft room south side and brought two LED fixtures to replace the bare ceiling light bulbs on each side of the room.  In the meantime, I decide if I am doing all this work I might as well install a vinyl plank floor in the room.  This means I just cannot move all the stuff in the room from one area to another while working on it.  I need to remove everything from the room to lay the floor.  

After cleaning the Guest room, I had about two weeks to enjoy because now it is filled with the stuff from the craft room and that is not the only area.  There is more under my bed and the aisles in the unfinished basement are lined with furniture.  I now only have two files cabinets, a drafting chair and half of the assembled cabinet boxes in the room.

The picture to the right is the unfinished section of the basement where I stuffed more things from the craft room and the base cabinets are what is stored under the stairs.  I have done more work in April but that will be for another posting.


No comments:

Post a Comment