Sunday, March 10, 2013

No-Knead Pumpkin Bread


This recipe was developed from my No-Knead Honey Whole Wheat Bread.  I love the bread's color and its texture.  The bread toasts well and it make a great tasting french toast. 

No-Knead Pumpkin Bread

3/4 cup warm water
2 pkg or 4-1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon flour
5 cups unbleached flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
1 cup mashed pumpkin
3 eggs well-beaten
2 cups warm water

In a small bowl mix the first 4 ingredient together and set aside.

Measure the unbleached and whole wheat flour, spices and salt in a large bowl. Using a whisk thoroughly mix the dry mix together. Add the pumpkin, honey, vegetable oil, eggs, water and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients. I use clean hands to mix it together until I have a sticky ball. If you prefer not to use your hand a large spoon will work just fine. I prefer to use my hand because I can feel when all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Cover the bowl with a towel and allow the mixture to sit in a warm place for 3 hours or until the mixture doubles.

Divide the dough in half and shade into 8"x 5"loaves. Put into bread pans. Cover the dough again with a towel and allow to raise another hour.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush the bread tops with egg whites to get a lovely carmel colored loaf. I use dried egg white and it works well. Place the loaves in the center oven rack and bake for 55 minutes or until the sounds hollow when tapped.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment